Soren the Architect, more commonly referred to as Soren, is the leader of The Order of the Stone, and a central character in episodes three through four of Minecraft: Story Mode. He is described as a great architect, hence his name. He is voiced by John Hodgman. He first appeared in "The Order of the Stone" as a flashback and in "The Last Place You Look" as a character.
He has ginger hair with a moustache and beard as well as pale skin. His armor has a tan tinge to it and black in some areas. He has fingerless, grey gloves and brown pants. Prior to episode 3, he wore a grey hardhat and tan goggles.
Soren appeared to be an eccentric, and a complete genius in his first few appearances. He was not above putting himself in danger to conduct his research, and spoke of a desire to be anything other than Soren the Architect. He is the discoverer of the Command Block, and he grew to be dependent on it after realizing what it could do, becoming a coward in the process.
The list below shows the victims Soren has killed:
- Golden Sword
- Amulet (Introduction)
- Wooden Sword
- Command Block (Formerly)
- Potato (Determinant, formerly)
- Habits of the Endermen by Soren (Possibly, formerly)
- Walking Among the Endermen by Soren (Possibly, formerly)
- The Redstone Heart by Soren (Possibly, formerly)
- A Man Forever Voyaging by Soren (Possibly, formerly)
- Brave New Enderman by Soren (Possibly, formerly)
- "I wasn't expecting so many houseguests! There's no way I have enough seashell soaps for all of them."
- —Soren. src
- "Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies."
- —Soren to Jesse. src
- "Sometimes, I'd prefer to be anything but Soren...ooh, like a donkey, for example."
- —Soren. src
- "You look terrible!"
- —Soren to Petra/Gabriel. src
- "You seem like a person who appreciates cool stuff that's cool for no reason."
- —Soren to Jesse. src
- "Oh, why are you asking me?! Am I expected to know every last thing in the universe?! Ugh... I need a moment to think."
- —Soren to Jesse/Olivia (determinant) src
- "Hush, Ivor, for once!"
- —Soren to Ivor. src
- "Stuff and nonsense, stuff and nonsense."
- —Soren to Magnus/Ellegaard. src
- "Graah! Being emotional is getting us nowhere!"
- —Soren. src
- "Enderman move blocks, it's what they do..."
- —Soren to Jesse
- "Yes... yes, that's it! They'll be caught between a rock in a hard place!"
- —Soren, talking about the plan to lure the Witherstorm with the Amulet (determinant) src
- "And to make matters worse, we've gone from one Wither Storm to three! Our plan was a total failure!"
- —Soren. src
- "Tinkering with the Far Lands is nothing to laugh about!"
- —Soren to Petra. src
- "It's as though Ivor learned nothing from my lectures on organizational methodology!"
- —Soren to Jesse in Ivor's Lab. src
- "You know, I've really enjoyed meeting you and all, but..."
- —Soren's final words to Jesse's gang before running away. src
- "We used that damned Command Block!"
- —Soren's confession. src
- "Understand -- when I found that blasted block, we were nobodies. But with its help, we became stronger. Faster. We could do so much more! The others had no idea what I was doing... yet the more I used it, the more we came to depend on it. I knew it was only so long before someone would find out. So I concocted a plan. I would use the Command Block to blink the Ender Dragon out of existence... Securing our status as legends... forever."
- —Soren telling the true story behind the quest to defeat the Ender Dragon. src
- "If you'd only been there... It was a fight for the ages! We'd spent weeks preparing for our greatest battle ever. But even so, the Ender Dragon was stronger than even I had imagined. I realized it was drawing strength from the Ender Crystals -- and that the crystals had to be destroyed. I hit the first with a perfectly placed arrow. The second, I destroyed by launching myself on the shockwave of Magnus' TNT! Using only my strength and my wiles, I steered the foul beast towards the third crystal. I flew the dragon directly towards the final crystal! Only then did Gabriel deliver his famous final blow. We became heroes, and eventually, legends. The greatest the world has ever known."
- —Soren's false account about The Order's battle against the Ender Dragon src
- "Welcome to the Far Lands, my friends."
- —Soren to Jesse's gang, when they arrive at the Far Lands. src
- In other worlds, there are multiple books written by Soren.
- In Isa's Throne Room, there is a book called Habits of the Endermen, by Soren.
- In the White Pumpkin's lair, there is a book called Walking Among the Endermen, also by Soren.
- In Harper's Secret Laboratory, there is a book called The Redstone Heart by Soren.
- In Hadrian's Palace, there's a book called A Man Forever Voyaging by Soren.
- In Fred's house in Fred's Keep, there is a book called Brave New Enderman by Soren.
- In "The Last Place You Look", Soren does not have his hat like in "The Order of the Stone". This is similar to Magnus the Rogue and Ellegaard the Redstone Engineer.
- Soren has aviophobia, the fear of flying, similar to Sandy.
- This can be shown in "A Block and a Hard Place" (if Gabriel gets the 'Wither Amnesia') when everyone is on the flying machine heading to Ivor's Cottage. Gabriel will mention that Ellegaard built a machine like that some time ago, and that Soren was terrified on riding it.
- This can also be shown in "A Block and a Hard Place" again, if Jesse chooses to say "You're full of it." after Soren tells his fake story of the battle with the Ender Dragon, he/she can determinantly use the fact that Soren is afraid of flying to argue that Soren's story (which claims that he rode the dragon) seems off.
- In the Minecraft: Story Mode skin pack on Console and Bedrock Editions of Minecraft, there is a skin that shows what Soren looks like without his armor.
- This skin is present in the Minecraft: Story Mode files, although it is not used.
- This skin is however used in place of the Armored skin in the Netflix version.
- In "Hero in Residence", if Radar is not interrupted for a certain amount of time, he mentions "The Followers of Soren."
- Soren can say that "Some stories are better left forgotten" in "A Block and a Hard Place" if Gabriel was rescued in Episode 1. This may be foreshadowing his attempt to hide and forget the real story behind their battle with the Ender Dragon.
- Though the battle with the Ender Dragon is the only mission of the Old Order of the Stone to be revealed as a fraud falsified with a Command Block, Soren can determinantly say in "A Block and a Hard Place" that the Order doesn't even stand a chance without the Command Block if Gabriel was rescued in Episode 1.
- Magnus can also determinantly tell Gabriel that Ellegaard was the only member of the Order who didn't need the Command Block.
- This means that the Old Order of the Stone actually used the Command Block on all of their missions.
- Occasionally, if Jesse looks at the window from the 2nd story of Soren's Laboratory, in the left bottom corner, there's an Endermen with a weirder look than the others. This might be Soren in disguise.
- Soren is the first character to sing in Minecraft: Story Mode, the second being Jack, with "Jack's Lament", and the third being Radar with "Taste My Bravery".
- His song is called "Soren's Farewell Song".