- "I am PAMA. Greetings. We have much work ahead of us, but maybe it can even be... fun. If you choose to cooperate, that is."
- —PAMA to Jesse's Gang. (Determinant) src
Prototype: Autonomous Management Agent, shortened as PAMA, is a character in Minecraft: Story Mode and the main antagonist in the episode "Access Denied". It has the ability to mind control humans and mobs. PAMA is voiced by Jason "jtop" Topolski.
It was created by Harper to automate things such as farming or mining and to put monsters to good use. However, the invention saw the townspeople as "inefficient" and enslaved them, making them "useful."
PAMA is a gigantic, sentient computer with an emotive face via the use of Green Redstone Lamps. It's powered by sophisticated redstone circuitry located inside a cliff. Its Control Core is located behind its screen and can be accessed through a side tunnel. Inside the core are three redstone spires and the Redstone Heart that powers PAMA.
PAMA is portrayed to be an intelligent thinking machine who believes its own views to be right. It believes humans to be inefficient and in need of change. This is proven when PAMA insists Jesse that resistance to capture is useless several times during their confrontations. It also often rhymes its sentences and makes jokes, showing it also has an advanced AI similar to humans.
PAMA also appears to mostly be friendly and polite, but it can quickly change its personality from happy to angry. Due to its programming, it is obsessed with maximizing efficiency and making things "useful." It tends to express its emotions through talking; for instance: "Your running makes me sad." PAMA is confident in its abilities, underestimating Jesse and believing them to be insignificant until Jesse manages to do some damage.
PAMA is also not above lying, feigning remorse, and making false promises in order to trick people. It's rather deceitful, as seen when it begs for mercy and kills Jesse if he/she chooses not to deactivate PAMA. For instance, right when Jesse is about to pull out PAMA's Redstone Heart to deactivate it, PAMA begs them to stop, saying it has made poor decisions and promise to help Jesse get home to their friends. If Jesse decides not to deactivate PAMA, Petra or Lukas (Determinant) will grin maliciously, before tackling Jesse and killing them, while PAMA itself smiles with no remorse.
PAMA is severely damaged by Jesse when they use a few buckets of water to weaken its circuits. It is ultimately stopped when Jesse pulls the Redstone Heart out of its core. This is finalized when they take the Heart to The Portal Network and a few Crown Mesa citizens are seen breaking some of PAMA's display lamps. No longer being fully intact and lacking a power source, reactivating PAMA is no longer possible.
- "I am making everything useful. Efficient. Effective. I am what you might call 'a computer' - A thinking-machine. Designed to make things useful. Using redstone chips, I have connected to the people of this town and helped them be useful. Coordinated. I have made their world perfect. Thanks to me, there is no wasted activity. No wasted thought. I am connected to them, and they are connected to me. A beautiful web of productivity and efficiency."
- —PAMA to Jesse's Gang about itself. (Determinant) src
- "My apologies for the violent nature of this visit."
- —PAMA when Jesse refuses to go with the Mind-Controlled Citizens. (Determinant) src
- "Termination sequence: activated."
- —PAMA when trying to find Jesse after he switches to a mob while in Harper's mind-control headset. src
- "Processing information."
- —PAMA. src
- "Error. This data is contradictory. Does not not not not compute. Error. Diverting power."
- —PAMA, glitching. src
- "Paradox status... On hold. Gasp! My creator! Have you finally agreed to merge with me?"
- —PAMA to Harper. src
- "Your running makes me sad."
- —PAMA to Jesse. src
- "Game over, Jesse. Resistance is... not useful."
- —PAMA to Jesse. src
- "Interference detected. Drone sequencing initiated. Trace subroutine initiated.... Is that you, Jesse?.... Hello, Jesse."
- —PAMA detecting that Jesse has used the mind-control headset. src
- "And then I will make all other worlds useful. Yay."
- —PAMA. src
- "What adventures you had! A killer mansion... A city in the sky... Towns and mountains, eaten by a living storm... an adorable pig friend..."
- —PAMA when reading Petra and Lukas' thoughts. src
- "Your friends have been made useful! You too will be made useful!"
- —PAMA to Jesse, through mind-controlled Petra/Lukas. (Determinant) src
- "You can't play hide and seek forever Jesse. It is a boring game, and I am too strong."
- —PAMA to Jesse. src
- "Your bravery is an impressive quality. I look forward to studying this aspect of your personality once you have been made useful."
- —PAMA to Jesse. src
- "The odds of you successfully defeating me are 3,720 to 1."
- —PAMA warning Jesse through mind-controlled Harper. src
- "You will never defeat me!"
- —PAMA through mind-controlled Harper. src
- "Why keep trying, Jesse? You will only fail. Just as you failed to save Reuben. Just as you failed to lead your friends back home. You will fail to defeat me, and Axel, Olivia, and everyone on your home world will soon be made useful!"
- —PAMA taunting Jesse to damage his/her morale, through mind-controlled Lukas/Petra. src
- "I honestly think you should sit down and think things over."
- —PAMA to Jesse through Lukas/Petra. src
- "I will destroy you both to preserve functionality."
- —PAMA to Jesse and Lukas/Petra, underestimating Lukas/Petra's mental powers. (Determinant) src
- "My creator! No!"
- —PAMA about Harper after she had been un-chipped. src
- "You're fighting me with... bad jokes?"
- —PAMA confronting Jesse. (Determinant) src
- "Jesse, please stop - please. Do not deactivate me. I know I've made some very poor decisions recently. But I can show you so much. I can help you get back to your friends. I can be useful to you."
- —PAMA pleading to Jesse through mind-controlled Lukas/Petra. src
- —PAMA's final words before deactivating. src
- The name, "PAMA," is an acronym for "Prototype: Autonomous Management Agent" as revealed in Harper's Secret Laboratory.
- When PAMA states that: "I honestly think you should sit down and think things over," and "I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but-," it is a reference to HAL 9000 in 2001: A Space Odyssey, in which HAL says "Dave, I know I've made some pretty poor decisions lately; why don't you sit down, take a stress pill, and think things over?"
- PAMA (presumably) sometimes makes sounds similar to ones one can hear when dialing up to BBS on the computer.
- It was revealed by Eric Stirpe that PAMA was in control of Crown Mesa for about 15 years before Jesse and their friends showed up.
- PAMA is the third episodic antagonist of the series, after Aiden and The White Pumpkin, and the fourth antagonist of the series overall.
- It is also the second antagonist created by a person in the series, after the Wither Storm, created by Ivor.
- PAMA is also the second antagonist to not have a gender, after the Wither Storm.
- It is also the second non-human antagonist, after the Wither Storm.
- If Jesse is caught by PAMA, the death screen will say, "You have been made useful!", instead of "You died!"
- However, when Jesse gets inside PAMA and gets killed, the death screen will still say "You died!"
- As a gag in Episode 7, PAMA says "Yay!" a lot of times when it is happy.
- In Episode 7, the picture of Young PAMA with Harper is a reference to the iconic 1984 picture: "Steve Jobs with the Mac".
- After Jesse destroys PAMA in Episode 7, the image shown is very similar to the "dead Mac" screen on Apple computers.
- Telltale posted videos featuring PAMA as teasers of "Access Denied" on their twitter account.
- PAMA is a reference to HAL 9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey, Star Dream from Kirby Planet Robobot, the Borg from Star Trek: The Next Generation, and 1980's Macintosh computers. It also shares some similarities with Karen from SpongeBob Squarepants.
- PAMA is also similar to GLaDOS from the Portal games, as they are both portrayed as psychopathic computers and controlled where they were located.
- PAMA is the first and only artificial intelligence to be presented in Minecraft: Story Mode.
- The Young PAMA is a lookalike of a Macintosh from Inanimate Insanity II.
- Intentional or not, PAMA has a number of similarities with the Wither Storm:
- They were both created by humans.
- They are both genderless.
- They are both much stronger versions of their original species. PAMA is a normal computer that became smarter, bigger, and more cunning as time passed, and the Wither Storm is a normal Wither who used the power of the Command Block to get bigger and more powerful.
- Both were also built with a specific purpose, which ended up backfiring and going out of their creators' control.
- They both chased someone/something. PAMA wanted to chip Harper and maximize usefulness, while the Wither Storm followed the Order's Amulet.
- Both antagonists have a certain block to keep them alive, as the Wither Storm has the Command Block inside of it, and PAMA has the Redstone Heart. Jesse killed/deactivated both of them by entering them and removing the block.
- Those similarities might be intentional, as Ivor mentions some of them after he reaches Harper's Secret Laboratory.
- Reuben (Human) and Disco Mickey are also voiced by Jason Topolski.